If you’re from Vancouver, you know just how important savouring the summer can be. We were blessed these last few weeks with some incredible weather. And even though I told you I absolutely love fall, I’m not sure anything can beat in incredibly sunny summer day in September. Here is a fresh, easy and flavourful recipe to help you make the most of the last of this sunshine.
Green Bean, Cherry Tomato and Chickpea Salad
(adapted from Martha Stewart)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 3 wide strips lemon zest minced plus 3 tablespoons lemon juice (from 1 large lemon)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pint heirloom cherry tomatos
- 1/4 small onion of any variety, minced
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 2/3 cup roughly chopped fresh parsley leaves
Boil beans until cooked how you like them (4-6 minutes recommended)
Fresh beans from the garden
Drain and rinse under cool water to stop the cooking
In a large bowl, whisk together lemon juice and oil.
Stir in tomatoes, onion, chickpeas, and lemon zest. Add feta and parsley and stir to combine.
Arrange beans on a platter and top with chickpea/tomatoes.
Try to buy locally and things will taste even better!