These past couple of weeks, I had the pleasure of spending time with my loved ones in one of my favourite places in the world, Maui.
|beach view from Mama’s Fish House|
Along with relaxing, reading, swimming and eating at some great restaurants (see above), I had the pleasure of cooking alongside my family and friends. We went to Kapalua to visit my family and my aunt made this incredibly delicious, and fresh salad. Packed with antioxidants, this is a great salad to serve aside some lean meat, or even as a main course.
|fresh salad mid-prep|
Hawaiian Chopped Salad (recipe by Nanci Caldwell)
Balsamic Glaze (boil 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar and a pinch of sugar/dash of honey in a saucepan until reduced to 3 tablespoons, 6 to 7 minutes)
1) Boil beets (red/golden/yellow – whatever your preference)
2) Let sit at room temp to later be chopped and added to salad
3) Add chopped papaya (1) and avocado (3)
4) Drizzle with balsamic glaze (warm or cool) and then top with a little crumbled goat cheese.
|best low-cal dessert I’ve ever had|
After a meal filled with fresh fruit, vegetables, and tuna (the best of the best in Hawaii) we had an INCREDIBLE dessert. Seriously, my mouth is watering just thinking about it!
Ice Cream Sandwiches and Strawberries
Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches
(any berry you want to add)
1) Quarter the ice cream sandwiches
2) Cut strawberries
3) Sprinkle ice cream sandwiches with berries on platter
4) Drizzle with balsamic glaze
Seriously. Try it. With 140 calories per sandwich, a serving of this dessert is under 100 calories per person. I’M NOT LYING!
How do you like to cook when you’re on vacation? Cooking with the best of the best in local produce and meat is my favourite!
Have a fantastic weekend!