I’m always looking for ways to make my favourite food just a little bit healthier. This pasta combines all of my favourite things: lemon, arugula, chili flakes, garlic and makes a great weeknight dish, or a great side dish for a big dinner party. Trying to skip pasta these days? You could also do this with quinoa and toss it up the same way. It’s a dish of endless possibilities!
Arugula is an absolute staple in this household. I use it on so many things, sometimes as an accompaniment, and sometimes as a main course tossed with fried chick peas. Either way, it adds the most incredible texture, peppery taste and is fabulous with lemon.
So easy to throw together – this is hardly even a recipe! That’s what I find the best recipes are: mixing a bunch of ingredients you already have on hand and creating something delicious, nutritious, and beautiful!
Lemony Arugula Pasta
Serves 2 as a main dish
2 cups arugula
1 lemon, juiced
1 tbsp oil
2 garlic cloves, sliced
1 tsp chili flakes
salt and pepper
1. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta while preparing the rest of the meal.
2. Reserve some pasta water in case you need to add it to the final dish.
3. Heat olive oil over medium heat.
4. Cook garlic and chili flakes until you can smell the garlic (about 1.5 mins)
5. When pasta is done cooking, add it to the pan with garlic and chili flakes.
6. Add arugula and lemon to dish.
7. Toss, adding parmesan, salt and pepper as desired. If needed, add some pasta water.
Best wine pairing: a light sauvignon blanc