There is nothing more soul-warming than a roast chicken and ultimately, a homemade chicken soup. In Whistler this weekend, I took a leisurely approach to lunch and prepared a simple roast chicken accompanied by an arugula salad. I took the afternoon to let the leftover chicken and bones simmer away to create a delicious stock for a chicken noodle soup that we had for dinner. Some people may think that is way too much chicken to be having in one day, but when you’re on a detox, your options are quite limited! The roast chicken recipe (if you can even call it that!) turned out incredibly moist. The resulting chicken soup was nothing short of absolutely delicious!The basis for a great chicken stock: carrots, onion, celery and tomato. These flavours combined provide depth and flavour to an otherwise bland broth.
1 lemon, halved
1 4-5 lb chicken
(below ingredients are optional)
celery, coarsely chopped
half of an onion, coarsely chopped
carrot, coarsely chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1) Preheat oven to 450F.
2) Wash and pat dry the chicken. Place in roasting pan with vegetables tossed in oil below (optional).
3) Cover chicken skin in kosher salt.
4) Place lemon halves in cavity of chicken.
5) Cook in oven for about an hour, or until the chicken is fully cooked. 165F for breast, 180F for other parts.
Enjoy the chicken! When it’s done, take off some of the remaining meat, but leave some on to simmer in the soup. Coarsely chop the meat you took off, and put aside.
Ingredients for broth:
1 chicken carcass
2 carrots, chopped
2 celery sticks, chopped
1 onion, halved
1 tomato, quartered
1 garlic clove
1) Add all ingredients to large stock pot. Add water until all ingredients covered.
2) Bring to a boil. Simmer for 4-5 hours.
3) Drain into other pot. Discard everything except stock.
Ingredients for soup:
chicken stock above
1 cup cooked chicken
2 celery stocks, sliced
2 carrot sticks, cut into small rounds
1 shallot, diced
1 tsp olive oil
1.5 cups cooked brown rice pasta
1) Skim fat off of broth.
2) Add oil to pot over medium.
3) Add shallots. Cook for 1-2 mins.
4) Add carrots and celery. Cook until softened.
5) Add stock and chicken. Simmer for a few minutes.
6) Add brown rice pasta. Simmer until the rest of the meal is ready.
7) Serve with chopped parsley if desired.