We’ve been eating pretty clean at home lately. Trying to get ready for summer! Sometimes, though, I just want something hearty and simple that is guilt-free, yet still a little indulgent. Enter basmati rice. We’ve been cutting down on our use of brown rice due to the increase of awareness of arsenic levels in brown rice. I’m not one to tell people what to do, but I recommend informing yourself about the dangers of it.
Regardless, here is a great side dish to serve alongside fish, some roast chicken, or even topped with some roasted vegetables.
Saffron Lemon Rice
serves 6 as a side-dish
2 cups basmati rice
1 tbsp olive oil
3.5 cups water
1 tsp salt
1 lemon, halved
1 pinch of saffron
1. Rinse rice until it runs clear.
2. Add rice, water, olive oil, salt lemon and saffron to pot.
3. Bring to a boil.
4. Once boiling, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes with the lid on.
5. Turn off, let sit for 5 minutes.
6. Fluff with fork and serve.