Sometimes, you don’t have 3 hours to let a tomato sauce simmer…but the great thing is that when you have amazing ingredients, you don’t really have to do that! Sure, simmering for a long time will definitely bring out some intense, rich flavours, but this pasta sauce has a few shortcuts that will leave you never wanting to plan ahead for a tomato sauce again! It all starts with quality ingredients – tomatoes from the market, basil from the garden, fresh pasta from our local Italian grocery store Zara’s, and away we go!
Usually I would serve tomato sauce with a Southern Italian red wine, but it was our anniversary so some Haywire Bubbly was in order. It actually worked quite well due to its round Chardonnay flavours.
Quick & Easy Tomato Sauce
Serves 2 as a main, 4 as a side
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp onions, minced
1 garlic clove, smashed
salt to taste
1 pint of tomatoes, chopped (don’t worry about this being perfect – it’s all about speed)
1 small pinch of red pepper flakes
1 tsp of butter
small handful of basil, sliced
grated parmesan to serve
1) Heat olive oil over medium heat. When hot, add garlic and onions and sauté until translucent. Add a pinch of salt.
2) Add chopped tomatoes. Bring to a rolling simmer, then reduce to slowly simmer.
3) After about 20 minutes, taste and season as required. Add red pepper flakes.
4) When sauce tastes ready, add butter and half of the basil. Stir.
5) Serve with the rest of the basil and parmesan.
6) Toss with fresh linguine, or any type of pasta.
* for a more health-conscious version, toss on top of spinach.