I’ve always loved lettuce wraps. At In’N’Out, I love to get a burger wrapped in lettuce…I always begin every meal at a Chinese food restaurant with lettuce wraps, and I am a huge fan of PF Chang’s lettuce wraps with crispy noodles. For a healthier approach, I used some inspiration from Gwyneth Paltrow’s new book, It’s All Good, and made the lettuce wraps my own with mainly ingredients I had in the house (homemade hoisin sauce, anyone??) Read below for the easy and really healthy recipe – perfect for a Monday night in!
Healthy Chicken Lettuce Wraps
grape seed oil
1 lb ground chicken
ground black pepper
1 small white onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1/4 tsp ginger powder
1 large carrot, finely diced
homemade (or store bought) Hoisin Sauce, 1/2 cup divided (below)
1 head iceberg lettuce, separated
1 handful parsley leaves
3 scallions, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
sriracha to serve
1) Heat a tbsp of grape seed oil over medium heat. When hot, add chicken, salt and pepper. Cook for 10-15 mins.
2) In another pan, heat a few tablespoons of oil and sauté the onion, garlic and ginger until soft. Add carrot and salt.
3) Add chicken to vegetables with half of the hoisin sauce with 1/2 cup of water.
4) Bring the chicken and vegetables together, making sure everything is coated.
5) Serve topped with parsley and scallions, allowing guests to add sriracha and more hoisin sauce.
Hoisin Sauce (what’s in your pantry version)
1 tablespoon grape seed oil
1 garlic clove, minced
pinch of salt
pinch of pepper
(small) pinch of red pepper flakes
pinch of fennel seeds
pinch of cinnamon
pinch of ground cloves
pinch of chili powder
1/2 cup tomato paste
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1) Heat the oil in a small pan over medium heat. Add all of the spices, whisking for 30 seconds.
2) Whisk in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Whisk constantly for 4 minutes.
Happy Monday! Here’s to a productive week filled with little moments of sunshine.