Last week I had the opportunity to check out Grain Tasting Bar at the Hyatt Regency, and I was pleasantly surprised. Many hotel bars can have a stale feeling that leaves you with a desire to go elsewhere, but Grain is different. The food is fresh, local, and always tasty. The cocktail program has been taken to a higher level – ordering Tonic from England and worrying about quality over price, while still delivering the tastiest, price-conscious menu items. Here are a few of my favourite things from the night. I already have a couple of events set up there throughout the summer, and I’m really looking forward to heading back.
2) The charcuterie platter was to die for. Usually when you go to restaurants, you get a few slices of cheese, 2 pieces of meat, and a couple of crackers. This took charcuterie to a whole new level. The platter is only $22 and is a perfect thing to split with a couple friends over cocktails.
3) The tuna tartar was out of this world. Topped with a 2-hour poached egg, this dish is full of flavour, freshness, and creaminess.
4) Smoked tomato bruschetta? Usually, I’m not one for fiddling with classics, but the subtle smoking in this bruschetta brings out the gorgeous tomato and garlic flavours. And somehow, they’ve managed to create a bruschetta with tomatoes that don’t fall off…teach me your ways!
5) Kiwi’s Big Adventure is a cocktail in its own world. Jalapeño, lime, and kiwi flavours are out in full force, but the drink comes together with an elegance I don’t think I’d ever be able to recreate!
6) The Bangkok Mule is a very ginger-y and refreshing take on the Moscow Mule, topped with a delicious and large piece of candied ginger.
7) The star cocktail of the night was the Honey & Basil. I could drink far too many of these. Sweet and savoury at the same time, it’s refreshing and matches all of the food that we tasted.
I hope you get the chance to check it out soon!