While Canadians have already celebrated their national holiday, I am excited to say Happy 4th to my friends down south – I hope you all have an amazing and patriotic holiday! These tarts are a great treat to make for people coming over as they can be made in advance, and are perfect for a sunny day like today that just screams summer. We’ve had an amazing strawberry season in BC, and I hope you’ve been able to enjoy strawberries wherever you are as well. There’s nothing better than the sweetness of fresh strawberries, but they’re also great in desserts. I didn’t want to alter the taste of the strawberries too much, so I added just a touch of tarragon, lemon zest and sugar to bring out their natural flavours. These tarts are sturdy enough for a picnic and nice enough for dessert at your next dinner party. Either way, they’re easy to make and so delicious! Read below for the recipe.
Strawberry Tarragon Tarts
Half of a portion of Perfect Pie Crust (this recipe never fails me)
*you’ll need Crisco, flour, salt, and cold water. If you’d prefer a butter crust, here’s my recipe.
1 large pint of strawberries, cut in quarters
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp tarragon, torn off the stem
1 tsp lemon zest
1 egg, beaten
1) Preheat oven to 375F. Put a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet.
2) Add the strawberries, sugar, tarragon, and lemon zest together. Put aside for 30 mins minimum.
3) Cut the pie dough into four quarters. Roll it out.
4) Add 1 quarter of the strawberry mixture to each piece of dough.
5) Fold in the sides of the tarts and pinch so it doesn’t fall out.
6) Brush the sides of the tart with egg wash. Sprinkle with brown sugar.
7) Cook for about 35 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
Have an amazing (early) start to the weekend if you can.