When it comes to healthy eating, I’m not one to stick to just spinach salads and green juice. I need comfort food at the end of a long work day, and I never shy away from a glass of red wine (hellooo, antioxidants!) I’m going to Palm Springs in a few weeks with my girlfriends, so I’m currently trying to eat super healthy and save up for the delicious meals (and cocktails) we’re bound to have. This dish is an example of healthy, but delicious and comforting.
Quinoa with Sausage and Caramelized Onions
1 cup of quinoa, rinsed in a fine mesh sieve
1 3/4 cup of water
1/4 cup olive oil
1 white onion, sliced
8 tbsp pasta sauce
4 hot Italian sausages (turkey will do for extra healthiness)
1) Add quinoa and water to a medium pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover for 12 minutes.
2) Meanwhile, add the olive oil to a large pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until caramelized (about 20 minutes).
3) Grill sausages over medium heat on your grill for about 15 minutes or until cooked through.
4) Heat pasta sauce in small sauce pot. I love Sugo Sauce. It’s local and tastes homemade.
5) When quinoa is cooked (about 12 minutes), put a paper towel underneath the lid and let it absorb the excess water.
6) Mix the onions and quinoa together. Top with pasta sauce and sliced sausage.