A few weeks ago, I wanted something hearty and healthy for lunch. I had some farmer’s market eggs in the fridge along with asparagus, and my swiss chard was ready to harvest. All I needed in order to add some zest were some herbs from my garden (I love my herb garden…probably too much, it’s a little embarrassing.) We’re lucky enough that between our garden and our family’s garden, we have so many vegetables that we’ve been eating mostly from the ground this summer. It’s been amazing!
Fried Egg with Asparagus and Chard
Serves 2 for a light lunch (or breakfast)
olive oil spray
1 tsp olive oil
1 tbsp sliced onion
1 bunch of asparagus, cut into two inch portions
1 bunch of swiss chard, stems removed and chopped into two inch portions, leaves sliced
1 tsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp basil, chopped
1 tbsp arugula, chopped
1 tbsp parsley, chopped
1 tbsp celery leaves, chopped
1) Heat tsp of olive oil over medium heat. When hot, onion. Sauté for 2 minutes.
2) Add asparagus and swiss chard stems. Sauté for 5 minutes. Add leaves and cook for 5 minutes.
3) When the vegetables are cooked, add the red wine vinegar.
4) Meanwhile, heat the olive oil spray on a non-stick pan over medium heat.
5) Fry eggs and keep yolk soft.
6) Plate the vegetables. Top with egg, cut the yolk open to act as a dressing. Top with chopped herbs.
A healthy weekday breakfast or weekend lunch!